Book Talk and Walk

I had an idea that I want to try out in my classroom first and then see if my grade level or multiple classes might like to participate...

It is the Book Talk and Walk!

This year I am really trying to focus on getting healthy and help find a way to fight childhood obesity.  We have a track at our school that I want to walk on so badly but after school I am either in a meeting, frantically grading papers (have to get home to my baby) or I'm simply exhausted.


After I dropped my kids off at art one day, the Book Talk and Walk popped in my head.  After my class completes reader's workshop, we can go out the the track and walk a lap with a book and a buddy (a lap usually takes about five minutes).  The kids can take turns discussing their book (at the half way point they switch).  The conversation can focus on whatever reading focus it is for the week or it could be a book review.  The possibilities are endless.


We could even take a lap after science and the kids could teach each other/review the lesson.  Yet another idea is to partner up with another class.

I am so excited to try this out as soon as the weather warms up.  It would be a perfect activity for spring!

What are your thoughts?  Any suggestions?











Images from MyCuteGraphics.com

This is a book I would like to read about the topic...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate helpful and productive feedback. Kindness counts!

Join Me in Spreading Literacy

Join me in an effort to spread literacy by posting pictures of your pets, cute animals, or natural backgrounds with the word “Read” written ...